Friday, April 13, 2007

Vegetable Tian & Wine In Key West


Wendy at Wendy's Wee Bit Of Cooking requested the dish I posted that we had for Easter Dinner. Here are the ingredients.


Vegetable Tian


Good Olive Oil

2 large yellow onions cut in half and sliced

2 garlic cloves minced - I used about 6 as we love garlic

1 pound medium round potatoes (I used Yukon Golds) unpeeled

3/4 pound zucchini

1-1/4 pound of fresh tomatoes

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves plus extra sprigs (and I also used a sprinkle of dried)

2 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated


Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Brush a 9x13x2 inch baking dish with olive oil. In a medium saute pan, heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the onions over medium-low heat for about 8-10 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the baking dish.

Slice the potatoes, zucchini, and tomatoes in 1/4 inch-thick slices. Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onions, fitting them tightly, making only one layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, thyme leaves, and thyme sprigs and drizzle with 1 more tablespoon of olive oil. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Uncover the dish, remove the thyme sprigs, sprinkle cheese on top, and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

This recipe was adapted from the cookbook "Barefoot In Paris" by Ina Garten. I am a big fan of hers and have had success with alot of her recipes.


Also today, I have my first wine post on Wine Sediments! Please check out my article there and let me know what you think.

It's weekend wine time - check in tomorrow!

Cheers!

3 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

That looks wonderfuly, Deb! What a great side-dish, or main dish for vegetarians. I'll definitely be trying it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Deb! Will try it out very soon.

winedeb said...

Hey Dr. Debs and Wendy- I do hope you try soon. So easy and lots of flavor! thanks!