Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Great Grape Day Wine In Key West


It is Great Grape Day over at Wine Sediments today and I participated with the following entry.


Great Grape Of The Day, Semillon.

It was a rascal to find a bottle of wine down here with that grape. But I did come across a familiar vineyard, Jacobs Creek, at our local store. In fact, that was the only bottle of wine I could find with that grape included. So I grabbed a couple of bottles and put them in the frig looking forward to the evenings tasting.

I was pleasantly surprised when I unscrewed the cap and caught a whiff of the fruit that was popping out to meet my nose. Hum, not bad for a wine under $10.00. Must say, those Australian’s sure know how to make good wine.

Ok, let me tell you a little about the wine. Jacobs Creek is Australia’s largest wine brand. I tasted the 2005 Jacobs Creek Semillon-Sauvignon Blanc, 57% Semillon and 43% Sauvignon Blanc grapes. ALC 12.5% by Vol. It had a nice vibrant straw color with a hint of green. My palate was happy to receive the zippy ripe lemon flavor coming from the Semillon grape and the nice tropical fruit flavor that was blooming from the Sauvignon Blanc grape. Nicely balanced acidity brought out that down to earth grassy taste which a lot of “Down Under” wines have that is a favorite of mine.

I enjoyed this wine and felt it was a nice way to start the end of my day!

No comments: