Saturday, July 28, 2007

Wine & Lemon Chicken


While visiting Amanda at Figs, Olives & Wine the other day, she had fixed a marvelous looking cassoulet because it was a cool, rainy day in New York. Well, here the past few days we have had some rain, but no cool weather. Still I was in the mood for some type of comfort food for a warm, rainy day. Mike had shown me a Lemon Chicken Pasta recipe a few weeks ago and I thought, wow, that will fit the menu for my rainy day comfort food. After going over the ingredients, I now had to choose a wine that we had in the rack that would pair with the lemon, capers, chicken and the rest of goodies that I would toss into this pasta dish.


I picked out "The Stump Jump" Vintage 2006 Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Roussanne, Marsanne Wine from the d'Arenberg Winery in McLaren Vale in South Australia. What a fun refreshing, crisp blended wine that paired well with the chicken dish. The blend of 63% Riesling, 16% Sauvignon Blanc, 13% Roussane and 8% Marsanne was floral on the opening and the floral notes moved over lightly to the palate. The fruitiness of the Riesling grape was tamed by the rest of the blend which added a nice acidity and balance to this medium bodied wine. This wine had a 13% alcohol volume. The Stump Jump wine was a good value for under $12.00, as it makes a good sipping wine for rainy summer nights and has enough flavors to match a comfort food dinner of lemon chicken and pasta.

If anyone would like the recipe for the Lemon Chicken Pasta, drop me a note in the comments sections and I will do a post this week for it!

It was Farmers Market Day and I picked up lots of fresh goodies this morning and will share the bounty with you this week!

Cheers!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

We're having an appalling summer here. It hasn't been over 20oC since May! This dish sounds perfect. :)

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Looks absolutely delicious!

winedeb said...

Hey Girls - thanks for stopping by and Wendy we are having at HOT one over here. Wish I could send you some of our heat! And the chicken dish is simple and delicious!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The chicken dish probably tastes as good as it looks!!!In the 1980's we visited Florida and went to what was advertised as the States most Southern winery. On the internet it refers to Schebly Redlands wines, but they are made of tropical fruits. I doubt that is the place. Any idea???

winedeb said...

Hi Valli! I think there are some "real" winery's in Florida but they are in the northern part of the state. It is too warm in the southern part of the state to grow grapes. The winery's in the southern part make tropical fruit wines. I have had a few of them and do not care for them myself. Actually we have a "winery" in Key West, but all they sell are the tropical fruit wines also:(