Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Borsao Wine & Cornish Hens Not In Key West



Spanish Wines. Yep, I have been on the “kick” this summer for Spanish wines thanks to Dr. Debs. Oh, and also Michelle over at My Wine Education is hosting WBW #35 on Spanish wines! Perfect timing. Wow, Spanish wines are "hot" this summer! (Sorry, I just had to say that!) So I thought, hum, do I want a red or white? OK, I have tons of whites from my Chicago haul so let's try a red for summer, let's say a "Garnacha". Now, do I want to go high end or low end in pricing? I decided to go to the inexpensive group. But let me tell you for under $10.00, I found a nice happy wine.

A 2005 Bodegas Borsao Campo De Borja came home with me the other day. A pleasant wine, even with a high alcohol content of 14%. Since this wine is made up of 75% Garnacha and 25% Tempranillo grapes, the alcohol is going to be up there due to the Garnacha grape. But, the alcohol was not predominant. After popping the cork, juicy berry aromas escaped into the air. On pouring, I noticed a little hint of violet in that river of dark red that was flowing into my glass. During the sip, a pleasant berry flavor, a mix of strawberry and dark cherry, bloomed on my tongue. Lovely! It lacked the high acid that sometimes creeps into your mouth, so it was nice and soft going down. No heavy tannins either. Wow, this is a delightful summer wine!


Now, what am I going to pair this wine with food wise? A nice juicy roasted Cornish hen stuffed with rosemary, a little garlic and a shallot decided to meet up with us for dinner. Accompanying this was roasted carrots, onions and more garlic with a “pile” of basmati rice on the side. The 2005 Bodegas Borsao Campo De Borja wine was light enough that it did not overpower the dinner, but full enough to match nicely.
A nice way to start the end of a summer day!
Cheers
!

4 comments:

Dr. Debs said...

I seem to be the only person in North America who can't find this wine! Tim Elliott of Winecast had similarly good things to say about it. Great review, and the hen looks delish.

winedeb said...

I am in Oxford, Ohio right now and I found this little gem in our little wine, gourmet shop. It is a GREAT wine for the money!

Wendy said...

What a lovely looking chicken! Is a cornish hen like a poussin?

winedeb said...

I think so Wendy. The cornish hens are about half the size of a regular chicken. I think they are much tastier than a regular chick. Seem to stay much moister than a regular chick also. This one was raised organically on a friend of mine's farm. So I know this little bird!