Thursday, March 15, 2007

Basil Sitting Pretty In Key West


You know I have been showing you all of those great photos of the newly harvested tomatoes from my garden, but this morning the herbs ganged up on me wanting their photos taken. So here is my basil sitting pretty in her flower pot. Actually I have 2 separate basil plants in that pot. One is regular basil and the other is lemon basil. The lemon basil is great with steamed fish, a dish so easy to make. I usually use a mild light fish, like tilapia. Just take aluminum foil or parchment paper, place fish on, add fresh herbs (like lemon basil, thyme, rosemary) a little salt and pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Seal the fish in the foil, pop in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes apart. Nice thing about this is there is no cleanup, except throwing away the foil.

But the real showstopper is fresh tomatoes with chopped fresh basil, a little olive oil and salt and pepper and maybe a splash of balsamic vinegar. Is your mouth watering yet? Well put all of that on sliced grilled baguette, a glass of chilled white wine - oh my gosh, it is a party in my mouth !

OK, after that comment, I am off to the garden !

Cheers!!!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

It's a cold, rainy day here in the Highlands of Scotland. And I've got the flu! Reading about your herbs and wine and tomatoes is truly brightening my day. :)