Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Potato Salad


This post is for my “Spud Bud” Valli over at More Than Burnt Toast. I do believe Valli’s love of potatoes does surpass mine, but I run a very close second. So Valli I thought of you last night as I was craving something with potatoes! Since Spring is right around the corner I felt that a Potato Salad would be fitting. Since I was going to grill out some chicken thighs, potato salad would be a good match. I don't know about you, but every potato salad I was brought up with was made with mayonnaise and, quite often, hard boiled eggs and some type of sweet relish. There is nothing wrong with potato salad made with mayo, in fact I have a great Southwestern version that has a touch of mayo, but when you are looking for something with a different twist, check this out!



“New Potato” Salad With Grainy Mustard

2 lbs. of those cute little red new potatoes
2 Shallots chopped
½ tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1 heaping tablespoon of whole grain mustard
1-1/2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of honey
2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley
A splash of dry vermouth

Cook potatoes till just fork tender. Drain and start cooling.
Mix together the shallots, both mustards, vinegar, honey, olive oil and parsley.
While potatoes are still warm, cut into pieces and place in a bowl and splash with the vermouth, toss and then add your mustard dressing tossing again till potatoes are coated.
At this point you can serve the salad still warm, but I like to let it set with a cover over it for about an hour to let all the flavors seep into the potatoes.
If you do not have dry vermouth, no worry, as the salad tastes just as good. The vermouth just gives it an extra little kick.

I told you that I served this potato salad with grilled chicken thighs. Well, when I took the chicken off of the grill I just had to chuckle as I thought one of the pieces looked like a turtle! And I know what you are thinking, ah, she has had too many glasses of wine while preparing that chick. But honestly I only had one glass!



Cheers!

18 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

YUM Deb! Those spuds look great! I love that you used grainy mustard in your dressing! Delicious!

Shayne said...

the potato salad looks really good.

I have always wondered what turtal tasted like, let me guess it tastes like chicken. hahaha

Wendy said...

I'm not a fan of mayonnaise-y potato salads at all. This recipe sounds far superior to them. Bookmarking it now.

Peter M said...

Excellent spud salad Deb, I make a similar one, I know that zesty falvour of the grainy mustard.

Anonymous said...

I love all potato salad! This is a keeper :)

Lucy said...

How divine!

I reckon I could keep up with both you and Valli in the potato-loving stakes.

Great images as well, Deb. Your outdoor setting looks very spring-y.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I think you're keeping up with me in the potato loving department Deb:D I love all kinds of potato salads as well and especially ones with wine...or perhaps vermouth. Years ago I attended the wine festival in the Niagara Region in Ontario and had a potato salad in a picnic basket that I have never been able to emulate..made with wine of course.I will give this a shot because it is bookmarked!!!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Hey Deb I made this salad with some of the tri-coloured potatoes I had leftover. Of course it would be even more delicious by adding the dressing while the potatoes are still warm, but it was still excellent:D I may have found what I have been looking for!

winedeb said...

Yes Jenn, that grainy mustard does add quite a nice touch!

Hey Shayne, yep just like chicken!

Hi Wendy, I think you will enjoy the taste of this one!

Hey Peter, like I was telling Jenn the grainy mustard makes the dish!

Me too Maryann, you will like this one!

Hey Lucy, potatoes rule! The garden is coming along!

Valli would love to hear about the salad made with wine! I think the colored potatoes is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Ha! "Turtle" was my first thought when I scrolled down to that picture!

I love, love, love potato salad! This recipe looks tasty!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I do love potatoes also and this looks great.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Looks great! Perfect summer food--this has me craving burgers!

Nora B. said...

Hi Deb!

I am not a fan of potato salads (bad experiences with really boring ones at the dorm cafeteria) but if i continue to see such delicious ones on yours and Val's blog, I just might change my mind. The splash of vermouth is interesting and I like how the mustards gives it texture.

Nora

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm this potato salad looks good! I'm used to the more mashed type of potato salad but I should really try making this style. And with grainy mustard - delicious!

Anonymous said...

I love spuds in all their glorious guises - there are just so many things you can do with them and potato salad is one of my favourites (hubby makes a cracking one that I regularly beg him to make). I'll be trying out this recipe next week, no question - looks fantastic!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Nice potato salad! I had one the other night, but I madde mine with mayo, fresh dill, garlic, salt & pepper. This would be a good change from that one!

Johanna GGG said...

great potato salad - I grew up with the mayonnaise and boiled egg types and it was such a great revelation to find ones such as yours - in fact my sister still makes her potato salad with egg and bacon so she makes a little eggless, meatless bowl for me when I go to family lunches - maybe I need to give her this recipe :-)

LisaRene said...

This is my style potato salad, no "white goop". The honey and vermouth are both ingredients I would not think to add to potato salad. Sounds good and will give it a try!