Thursday, June 7, 2007

Picpoul De Pinet & Garlic Scapes




Another wonderful discovery at the Farmers Market - Garlic Scape's !!! They almost look like the tops of green onions, but they are smoother. They are the tops of the garlic plant and are not available very long. It is a Spring thing. I found out that a lot of folks make pesto out of them, but I took them, slathered them in olive oil with salt and pepper, put them in a 375 degree oven and roasted them. They tips were toasty but the rest was semi-chewy with such a nice hint of garlic, not overpowering like garlic itself. I have a few left and thought I would cut them up and add to a light pasta dish. Such an attractive gift from Mother Nature!


I served these "scape's" with grilled pork chops, a Cesar salad and brussel sprouts. Along side I popped open a very nice bottle of 2005 Hughes Beaulieu Picpoul De Pinet from the Languedoc Region of France. The escaping aromas of juicy, citrusy, lemon-lime met my nose and followed right on through to my palate. It went well with our dinner. This wine is made of 100% Picpoul Grapes, also known as Folle Blanc or Gros Plant, which are high in acid. That is why Picpoul means "lip stinger"! It was tart with that lemon flavor and finished very clean and fresh. I also detected maybe a hint of mineral taste on the finish. It was a great buy for $8.99! Another good find for summer sipping!


Cheers!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Fantastic. I bought some scapes last weekend at the food festival and have had no idea what to do with them. Thanks!

winedeb said...

You are going to love them! Not only can you roast them, put them in your search engine and look at the pesto's you can make for pasta, etc.